From: nnsquad-bounces+freimer=ctiusa.com@nnsquad.org
[mailto:nnsquad-bounces+freimer=ctiusa.com@nnsquad.org] On Behalf Of Brett
Glass
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 3:04 PM
To: Bob Frankston; nnsquad@nnsquad.org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] Re: INTELLIGENT network management? (far from IP)

At 12:28 PM 2/29/2008, Bob Frankston wrote:

>If you require QoS for VoIP then you have the PSTN not the Internet.
Period.

QoS was (and is) part of the original design of the Internet. Note the
"Type of Service" fields in both IPv4 and IPv6, as well as the "push"
bit. (Interestingly, there's no "shove" bit. Don't know why. ;-) )

>VoIP cannot rely on QoS because you don't have enough control over the
>network.

I do have control over my local network and over my interface to my
backbone provider. And when I prioritize VoIP on those, it helps
tremendously.

>And VoIP does not rely on QoS -- I verified this with Tom Evslin
>who supplied much of the backbone for VoIP.

VoIP becomes nearly unusable in times of heavy loads without QoS. In
fact, it becomes unusable when someone on the same node runs
unthrottled BitTorrent. That's why we prioritize and do P2P mitigation.

>Let's not base policies on misconceptions.

I agree. Hopefully the above will clear up some of those misconceptions.

>Yes you can build your own
>intelligent network but let's not confuse it with the Internet.

The Internet was never meant to be unintelligent. By design, it relies upon
routers which have tremendous computing power and very large amounts of
memory. (And it must. It can't scale or have redundancy without these
things.)
What's more, every end node is ITSELF a router and devotes intelligence to
that. It is unreasonable to attempt to exile technology, innovation, or
intelligence from any part of the Internet.

>If VoIP fails it fails.

You may be able to say that, but we can't. We lose the customer if he or
she can't do VoIP.

>And if you require real time HD streaming that may fail to. So what?

I believe that it was you who, in a previous message, were voicing
discontent with the performance of HD streaming on your FiOS connection.
We can't support HD streaming on the typical residential connection, but
we DO want to support it if the customer is buying sufficient bandwidth.
If we don't, again, we're out of business. Or someone goes to the FCC
and complains that we're not supporting that medium and must be
regulated....

--Brett Glass