From: nnsquad-bounces+vint=google.com@nnsquad.org <nnsquad-bounces+vint=google.com@nnsquad.org>
To: nnsquad@nnsquad.org <nnsquad@nnsquad.org>
Cc: lauren@vortex.com <lauren@vortex.com>
Sent: Fri Mar 14 20:30:44 2008
Subject: [ NNSquad ]  More info on ISP DNS redirections

I've received a number of replies to my request for more specific
information regarding Verizon and Time Warner (RoadRunner) DNS
redirections/diversions.

Regarding Verizon (the forwarded message below best summarizes), it
appears that while Verizon has apparently removed the redirection
(to a Yahoo Search page) opt-out for their own routers supplied to
customers, it is still possible for users with enough understanding
of their systems to set their own recursive DNS server addresses.
So, for example, those persons running their own BIND, or using
services such as OpenDNS.org, reportedly can continue to do so
without interference at this time.  However, it appears that Verizon
has purposely "raised the bar" to make it less likely that ordinary
users will choose other than the Verizon-supplied Yahoo-diversion
DNS servers.

As for Time Warner/RoadRunner, I've received additional reports
indicating that diversion (via a wildcard record) is occurring in
other areas in addition to Southern California, but also that not
all areas in Southern California are so configured currently.
Indications so far are that the official RoadRunner opt-outs do work,
and it appears that, as in the Verizon case, there is nothing
currently stopping people from running their own BIND or directing
their client systems to other DNS services.

Frankly, I find default DNS diversion, even with opt-outs and
available workarounds, to be distasteful and annoying at best, and a
clear "camel's nose under the tent" in terms of potentially taking
advantage of subscribers, especially those who are unlikely to know
how to manipulate their own DNS settings.  These cases don't rise to
the obnoxiousness level of VeriSign's infamous "Site Finder"
service, but seem to be another step toward pushing the envelope ever
farther in the wrong direction.  If ISPs wish to provide such DNS
diversion services, they should be *opt-in* only.  But we all know
why they don't do that.