[ NNSquad ] Re: mangling payload

No comments on any of the legal questions.

Nick is correct that this kind of action is /sometimes/ what the user
wants.  In other situations, it certainly isn't.

Here's one example of a user being unhappy about it:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/896160.html

Another of users discussing how to avoid it:

http://whattheblog.net/2008/02/11/how-to-fix-vodafone-image-compression/

(note Vodafone offering a Windows-specific binary to circumvent the
compression!)

And this appears to be an example of Vodafone disclosing compression and
touting its virtues as a cost-saver:

http://www.vodafone.hu/egyeni/szolgaltatasok/internet_wap_email/gprs_internet_en.html

They certainly don't say that "compression" includes lossy compression.

--
Peter Eckersley                            pde@eff.org
Staff Technologist                Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131