[ NNSquad ] Re: Do the Happy Dance people...

On 1 sep 2008, at 12.19, George Ou wrote:

You just made the same fundamental mistake again.  Comcast does not
advertise nor do they have in their contract the word "unlimited".

You pay a flat fee. Previously they didn't have any tangible restrictions in place. Now they do, but the limit is set pretty high so it won't affect the majority of the customers. It doesn't really matter much whether or not the word 'Unlimited' is mentioned explicitly as far as I'm concerned, but feel free to point out the fundamental issue in case I missed it. (People who get hinged on words might think otherwise - I'm absolutely uninterested in going down that particular path myself)

Your other fundamental mistake is that you compare packets to people.

'Active subscribers' is a *very* relevant metric when planning network capacity. For a normal commercial wireline ISP, "active subscriber" (i.e where the host is hauling meaningful amounts of data in either direction) generally translates to one or more physical persons doing something in front of the machine. You'd be surprised at how many people actually sleep or shut off their computers when they're not using them.

Sure, that rule-of-thumb is becoming less true the more automated agents - or clones hauling bits of a DVD in my analogy - you see out there, BT being a prime example. In terms of traffic, the very few users (relatively speaking) doing heavy P2P are extremely far off the median user. Granted, if you stream video en masse, you chew bandwidth too - but not nearly to the same extent as a heavy P2P'er. Thus, a number of clones hogging seats on the bus.

Feel free to drag up any number of examples where it's perfectly valid and legit to run apps talking a lot to the net when you're not actively using the computer and I'll be the first one to agree. But this really isn't about your backup jobs, your iTunes video store account downloading stuff or your hobby shell/web server - at the end of the day, heavy P2P is what's causing headaches. This might not be the case tomorow, but today, it is.

There's only one of you traveling around on an unlimited ticket and you can
only be using the system 24 hours a day 30 days a month. Not so with
packets as you can generate an unlimited number of packets.

Hence, they introduced a limit to discourage and/or get rid of the heavy P2P'ers, whacking them way closer to the users who mostly use bandwidth when they sit in front of the machine.

I don't think there's anything more nefarious involved here to be honest. They've got a bus service where seats were getting hogged to a high enough extent for it to be a problem. The new DOCSIS 3 buses are already on order and being delivered, which will alleviate the problem for Comcast in more than one way. That said, bandwidth usage per subscriber will grow and the active subscriber count at peak will grow so I wouldn't be at all surprised for them to play it safe and keep the 250 GB limit for a while even if they upgrade their capacity - especially if their median user is at 2-3 GB/mo today.

George Ou

Kriss http://www.shortpacket.org/