[ NNSquad ] Re: Effects of bandwidth restrictions (from IP)

On Oct 29, 2008, at 7:35 PM, George Ou wrote:
That said, backing up more than 40 GBs of data remotely over any broadband
or WAN connection (excluding 20/20 FiOS or better) isn't really practical
even without the usage caps. You're always going to be better off with a
500 GB USB 2.0 drive that you can get for $100 which typically operate at
240 Mbps.

Having gone through the interesting process of trying to recover data from a drive that had just been through a house-fire, I think I can authoritatively say that there *is* a difference between a local drive and a network backup.

Yes, there are other solutions (rotating drives off-site, remote backing up a limited set of critical files...). Just pointing out that "always better off" is a bit strong.