[ NNSquad ] Re: NY Times: People are watching much more online video

There is a fallacy in focusing on inbound/outbound traffic here because it's
more about where the meter is than the direction. It would be better to talk
about local vs distant but the problem is that it's about an abstract
topology according to the accidental properties of the peering
configuration.

I agree that explaining this to people is a problem -- but that precise
difficulty is the entire point of the Internet. We create applications
without worrying about the accidental properties of the path and thus focus
on discovering new possibilities.

Those who focus only on the current costs from Thomas Malthus to those who
argued that relational databases and higher level languages were too
expensive to those who said that the Internet couldn't really be that
cost-effective have proven dramatically wrong and had we heeded their
warnings we'd be far worse off.

Yet again and again we let ourselves be hobbled by business models which
depend on high prices. Those who know history are frightened by the
knowledge that their business model is doomed so they tell their
shareholders stories about why this time history will stand still for them.
And they give billions to the carriers in hopes that this time the paper
pyramid won't collapse.