[ NNSquad ] Peering dispute cuts off Sprint<->Cogent Internet traffic

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:28:13 -0400
From: Ed Jankiewicz <edward.jankiewicz@sri.com>
Subject: Total Filtering
To: Lauren Weinstein <lauren@vortex.com>

As reported by our regional high school, name changed to protect the
innocent.  By the way, this impedes students ability to get course
information and complete homework assignments over the weekend.  Talk
about the digital divide!  A hole or rip in the Internet - sounds like a
Star Trek(tm) plot device.

As many news organizations are now reporting, Sprint-Nextel (Embarq) has
decided to sever its Internet connection with Cogent, another Internet
service provider.  This action has caused a "hole" or "rip" in the
internet, meaning that Sprint-Nextel (Embarq) and Cogent customers may
find they cannot access resources hosted by the other company's
customers. Similar standoffs have occurred in the past, and usually one
company backs down after a few days, but no one can predict what will
happen in this case.

Since Hunterdon Central uses Cogent as our primary internet provider,
some Sprint-Nextel (Embarq) customers may find that they cannot access
<our High School> resources, such as email, the portal and Moodle. In
response to this problem, <our High School> has voiced a complaint to
both companies. We are also investigating using an emergency alternate
internet provider for Saturday and Sunday, if the problem continues
through Friday evening.

We will update you with additional information as soon as it is
available. We apologize for the inconvenience that this is causing and
we thank you for your patience while we work to find an alternate way of
providing internet access to users on the Sprint-Nextel (Embarq) network.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/153123/sprintcogent_dispute_puts_small_rip_in_fabric_of_internet.html

Ed J.

------- End of Forwarded Message