[ NNSquad ] Re: FCC Hires Industry Shill to Develop US National Broadband Plan

----- Forwarded message from David Farber <dave@farber.net> -----

Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 01:10:45 -0400
From: David Farber <dave@farber.net>
Subject: [IP] Re:   FCC Hires Industry Shill to Develop US National Broadband
	Plan
To: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Bennett <richard@bennett.com>
Date: August 29, 2009 7:47:24 PM EDT
To: dave@farber.net
Subject: Re: [IP] FCC Hires Industry Shill to Develop US National
Broadband Plan

Bowers seems to be implying that Scott Wallsten is the only, or at least
the principle person developing national broadband strategy at the FCC.
This is clearly not the case, of course, as the commission has dozens of
people working on the project representing a broad range of disciplines and
perspectives. Wallsten is a very good economist, in my experience, and a
sound empirical thinker. If I were managing a project of the scale and
importance of the NBP, I'd certainly like to staff if with a diverse group
of competent people, of which he is clearly one.

The concern of the "net roots" faction Bowers represents seems to be that a
diverse and talented FCC team will not endorse the simplistic vision of
"all packets are equal" internetworking they've been trying to foist off on
the American people since the net neutrality debate started. And indeed,
Wallsten has never been a proponent of feel-good legislation, so their
fears are probably warranted. The FCC is not going to ignore the
seriousness of their mission in order to score a few cheap political points
for the net roots. Rather, they're going to make a concerted attempt to
deliver a comprehensive, realistic, and otherwise reasonable plan. Rolling
over for the conventional wisdom won't get it done, so including critical
voices is an essential part of the process. I wasn't very pleased that the
FCC had commissioned the Berkman Center to study international broadband
policies. But I had to accept that Berkman's point of view is a legitimate
part of the discussion. I'd suggest that Chris Bowers should embrace
diversity of thought.

That being said, I'd like to see the FCC hire some people who deeply and
thoroughly understand how the Internet actually works day-in and day-out,
and where the bodies are buried. Lawyers, economists, and historians are
fine, but there's no substitute for engineers and system architects.

RB

David Farber wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: dewayne@warpspeed.com (Dewayne Hendricks)
> Date: August 28, 2009 9:27:11 PM EDT
> To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy@warpspeed.com>
> Subject: [Dewayne-Net] FCC Hires Industry Shill to Develop US National
> Broadband Plan
>
> FCC Hires Industry Shill to Develop US National Broadband Plan
> by: Chris Bowers
> Fri Aug 28, 2009 at 16:28

> <http://www.openleft.com/diary/14837/fcc-hires-industry-shill-to-develop-us-national-broadband-plan
> >

> The FCC's broadband task force is tasked with developing our national
> broadband policy. This is a project that FCC Commissioner Michael Copps
> ranks of the highest importance:
> "I'm enthused as I can be that this country is finally, finally going to
> develop a national broadband plan," Copps said Wednesday in an interview
> for C-SPAN's "The Communicators" series.(...)
> "We're way behind in broadband," he said. "There is a need to do
> something now."
>
> Copps said he is not underestimating the importance of the FCC's task:
> "It's the biggest thing that's come to the FCC since I've been there,"
> he said.
>
> And so, because our government is run by corporations and for
> corporations even when it is controlled by Democrats, a telecom
> industry shill, Scott Wallstein, was named as economics director of
> that task force.  From a source close to the process, in the extended
> entry I proivde a thorough background on Wallstein's industry
> connections and long history of fighting against American consumers:
>
> Wallsten is a guy who:
>    • Has spent the last five years at three different coin-operated
> think tanks.
>        • Most recently with the Technology Policy Institute whose
> supporters include AT&T, Comcast, T-Mobile, Time Warner Cable, Verizon
>        • He previously worked for the Progress and Freedom Foundation
> whose primary funders include AT&T, Comcast, Cox, NCTA, Time Warner
> Cable, Verizon. (Source)
>        • Before that he worked for the American Enterprise Institute/
> Brookings Institution whose funders include AT&T, SBC, Verizon.
> ((Source)
>    • Doesn't believe there is a broadband problem in America . Point 1
> would explain this belief, Here's some of the industry and GOP-friendly
> positions he's taken
>        • "... the U.S. does not have a broadband problem. The
> remarkable investment in broadband infrastructure and rapid increases in
> subscribership that have taken place suggest the market is working well.
> Any policy or regulation intended to further accelerate deployment
> should clearly identify and target the market failure it is intended to
> mitigate:" (Source)
>        • "The wireless industry exhibits no evidence of a market
> failure, and regulations - especially sweeping ones of the type [Tim] Wu
> would like us to consider - are likely to impose significant costs on
> [...]

Richard Bennett
Research Fellow
Information Technology and Innovation Foundation
Washington, DC