[ NNSquad ] Re: ATT tells FCC it wants to ditch land-line services -- let's assist them!

I disagree. Witness the same pairs put up over 70 years ago are still in
service in many places and continue to be written off year upon year by
the telcos.
They recently replaced the cable past me, and when I asked the foreman
when the old one was put up, he said 1927, the same year my house was
built, as well as many on my street.
Now this may be an exception, but not so I'm told, the main reason
cables are replaced is for more capacity. The area Ilive in is 30'x100'
city lots, and pretty easy to plan capacity. Even in 1927.
I found the speeds herebouts is limited by the stray capacity induced by
them connecting multiple runs to the main distrubution, meaning my pair
can be accessed on many side streets. It limited us to 53.3kb on dialup,
and degrades DSL unless they lift every un needed pair, according to the
techs I've talked to.