[ NNSquad ] Re: Ars Technica: Why ad blocking is devastating to the sites you love

Lauren,

In order for me to agree with you, all websites need to remove the objectionable ads.  These would be ads containing fraud or malware ("your computer contains a virus"), ads that crawl over content, ads that pop out of the window, pop-up, pop-under or cause unreasonable load times to name a few.

Pop-up blockers were developed for a reason.  Advertisers thought they owned our computers, just like they think they own our living room TV, CD/MP3, DVD and BluRay players.  However in browser space, we have the ability to protect ourselves.

To be clear, I don't think Ars Technica does those things.  But I know a lot of tech sites that do.  If we are to shed ourselves of browser pop-up blockers, we need all content providers to subscribe to a content reader's bill of rights.  (I leave what those rights should be to another discussion.)

Most of the print media and other news providers are lamenting how the industry is going under.  What they forgot was the end user.  Why should I pay for content when they sponsor ads from the most unethical advertisers on the net?  The problem comes back to ad farms, and the lack of scrutiny of advertisers.  Ads should be vetted for misbehaving ads, and the bad advertisers banned.

And while we are on the topic, I won't pay for content behind a paywall that I only use once a month.  I wouldn't mind paying a small amount for content that I use regularly.  Why don't NYT and others combine into a package containing access to high-quality sites for one single subscription?

Regards,
Bill