[ NNSquad ] "60 Minutes Meets the ARPANET"

"60 Minutes Meets the ARPANET"

Andy Rooney signed off from doing his regular commentaries on "60 Minutes"
this evening -- he'd been doing them weekly since 1978.  His farewell
was heartfelt and bittersweet:

http://j.mp/qEHEa9  (Gawker)

I couldn't help thinking myself about all the years that 60 Minutes had
been on the air ... and I suddenly remembered that many, many moons ago,
I had written a satirical piece (yeah, I was wasting time that way
even way back then) called "60 Minutes Meets the ARPANET."

I couldn't find a local copy.  And I almost couldn't find one via
Google either, even using my craftiest search terms.  But I finally
located it, deep in a public humor collection.  It was uncredited (not
surprising, copies floated around like that for years), but was in the
paginated format that was common back then, and dated April 13, 1984.
That sounds about right, just one year after the movie "WarGames" was
released.

Be warned that it's from another era, and would not qualify as being
politically correct.  Some of the terminology will be meaningless to
modern eyes, but all will be revealed with a few Google searches if
you wish.  I was pretty serious about disclaimers back then, as
you'll see.

It doesn't really mean anything now, but might be worth a chuckle
or two.  Perhaps that's worth something, after all.

"60 Minutes Meets the ARPANET":

http://j.mp/qZeLjr  (Lauren's Blog)

Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
Google+: http://vortex.com/g+lauren