[ NNSquad ] Re: Why Gigabit DSL matters

This is how "Moore's Law" is supposed to work and why I've argued that we're
underutilizing our copper (and wireless and fiber) assets.

What is important is that we can use any technique whether it is finding the
one pair that can do 1Gbps or using smarter electronics/software to glom
together to get the capacity it doesn't matter. The point is that there are
many approaches and that if "the market" sees an opportunity it will find a
way. Note that the whole "speed" thing is confusing -- the bits go out the
same speed but we can exchange more at a time if we take advantage of
opportunities. This is why I prefer to use the term "capacity".

We should stop talking about FTTH or any presumption about technology and
use what is available and by normalizing to bits we can mix and match in any
combination that works.

The FTTH (et al) requirements have worked to maximize costs while making it
seem difficult to build out connectivity. This is a double whammy in that
the high costs make it hard to justify providing capacity whereas
incrementally using available physical infrastructure can be far more cost
effective and drive demand. Furthermore by focusing on speed within billable
paths we minimize the capacity we get after all the effort.

The "physics" of information can be weird. A single gigabyte path can do far
more than provide 10 users with 100 megabits each because of statistical
sharing. Each one can get more like a gigabit each. Even if you use all 10
are using 10Mbps streaming there is still lots of capacity available. The
more capacity we aggregate and share the more effective capacity we get.
Divvying up the capacity into pipes creates "breakage" or the loss of
capacity by making it unavailable to others when unused.

The Telco business requires channeling bits into billable channels for
billing purposes even if it means, in effect, throwing away the vast
majority of the capacity due to breakage. An unshared 1Gbps path may average
out to 1Mbps (or far less) which means that the cost of billing requires
throwing away more 99% of the capacity of the unshared path. At very least
consumers should join together to share the path themselves.

We have abundant physical capacity -- it's the provisioning that is problem
and that's policy not physics. Just as the bandwidth shortage is a construct
due to policy and not due to a limit on our ability to exchange bits.

More at the usual essays: http://rmf.vc/ThinkingOutsideThePipe,
http://rmf.vc/sd etc.