[ NNSquad ] Cisco triggers enormous privacy concerns with new router firmware upgrade + OPT-OUT INFO

Cisco triggers enormous privacy concerns with new router firmware upgrade + OPT-OUT INFO

Amid Privacy Backlash, Cisco Says It's Not Logging Your Web History

http://j.mp/LXUHJO  (Bloomberg)

    "The update moved the routers to a new cloud-based management system
     called Cisco Connect Cloud - and came with an ominous warning in the
     terms of service that the routers would record users' Internet
     histories as part of the arrangement."

Answering Our Customers' Questions about Cisco Connect Cloud

http://j.mp/LXUIxj  (Cisco)

    "Consistent with Cisco's practices, Cisco Connect Cloud does not
     actively track, collect or store personal info or usage data for any
     other purposes, nor is it transmitted to third parties. We also wanted
     to clear up any confusion about Cisco's 'opt in' practices. Cisco
     Connect Cloud was delivered only to consumers who opted in to
     automatic updates.
     While we hope this reminder of our standard company practices will
     allay any concerns, customers who do not wish to establish a Cisco
     Connect Cloud account and would prefer to revert back to the
     traditional Linksys setup and management software can do so by calling
     the Linksys customer support line at 1-800-326-7114. One of our agents
     will walk you through the process."

 - - -

Cisco could have foreseen this controversy given their badly worded TOS.