[ NNSquad ] Fwd: Re: Comments on NNSquad Purpose

Gotta learn to hit the "reply all" button . . . ack.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mischa Beitz <mischa@beitz.org>
Date: Nov 9, 2007 4:52 AM
Subject: Re: [ NNSquad ] Re: Comments on NNSquad Purpose
To: Phil Karn <karn@ka9q.net>

Phil,

On the contrary. it doesn't need to be made clear, and shouldn't be.

I couldn't disagree more with the attitude many take re QoS. For some
in the NN community, the QoS argument for prioritization seems to have
been (wrongly) ceded to the telcos. I, personally, think closer
inspection and understanding of the problem suggests it's a mistake.
What, for example, do you mean by "definitely need?"

When  Gary Bachula of the Internet2 project testified before congress
that "Giving a preference to the packets of some potentially degrades
the transport for everyone else" and further that, "For a number of
years, we seriously explored various "quality of service" schemes,
including having our engineers convene a Quality of Service Working
Group. All of our research and practical experience supported the
conclusion that it was far more cost effective to simply provide more
bandwidth" he was pointing out that from an engineering perspective,
QoS is a terrible approach. Capacity trumps QoS every time.

We can go into the nitty-gritty of network costs, last-mile scarcity,
VoIP, CALEA/emergency needs, etc. etc. but, in general, I think this
group and the NN community in general should accept that NN may just
be an umbrella under which we can all generally gather and pursue a
common cause.

That said, I love these debates and would be more than happy to defend
and advocate the "QoS is unnecessary" position.