[ NNSquad ] Re: Comments on NNSquad Purpose

Brett-

This list and NNSquad's purpose is not about defining "network neutrality", nor is it required to. Instead, all you have to do is read the web page at nnsquad.org to see the purpose - as stated, it is for incident reporting, detection tools, etc. related to anticompetitive, discriminatory, etc. practices. In other words, developing and presenting the cases where some or many customers might view the behavior as undesirable. YMMV.

If some don't feel such behaviors by ISPs and others are undesirable, that's fine. The evidence may turn out to be unconvincing, to those who share that view. But the evidence will be factual and lead to investigations and analysis, and perhaps even have an effect on policymakers.

It would seem to me that this list will be unrewarding for those who have the preconceived notion that ISPs can do anything they want with "their" pipes. But there are no secrets here. In fact, if such ISPs want to contribute tools and data about how they *do* effect discriminatory actions against their users' traffic, I'm sure their users and government regulators would be happy for such data to be voluntarily contributed by the ISPs - it saves a lot of detective work, and eliminates controversy by stipulating the truth of such discrimination.

Consumer Reports is always happy when companies voluntarily do product recalls and correct their products' defects. ISPs are welcome to do the same.

Brett Glass wrote:
By the way, it seems to me that the first order of business on this
list should be to define "network neutrality." I see network neutrality
as remaining neutral with regard to content providers, but not
necessarily with regard to applications. (There are good technical
reasons to do things like prioritize VoIP packets, for example.)