[ NNSquad ] Re: Expanding the struggle

John S. Quarterman
> And in many countries net neutrality is (or has been until recently)
> considered a U.S.-only problem.  It's not.  It's really about free
> speech, free association, and free trade.  And we've already seen that
> what is or is not considered kosher differs even between U.S. and Canada.
>
> This is what Milton Mueller is getting at in his draft paper
> for the UN Internet Governance Forum:
>
>  http://riskman.typepad.com/peerflow/2007/11/normative-net-n.html

Excellent contribution.

This paper is in the spirit of what I eluded to in an earlier post that I
made.  The FCC as a rule-making body has a history of being more than happy
to let some other non-governmental body set the standards and coordinate the
activity. The FCC as a regulator and enforcer will then usually uphold those
decisions. (Examples include use of the ampr.org on the AX.25 networks, see
http://www.qsl.net/scdcc/tcpip.html for an example. See
http://www.arrl.org/news/enforcement_logs/2003/0517.html for another
example, where voluntary coordination by the non-government Northern Amateur
Relay Council of California was upheld and enforced by the FCC).

This is exactly how I believe the FCC should behave toward enforcement of
ISP interference issues such as Comcast's RST abuse and Verizon's DNS
redirection.

--Robb Topolski