[ NNSquad ] Re: As predicted: The BitTorrent vs. "traffic shaping" arms race

Kee Hinckley wrote:

Based on those assumptions, I see three main issues to address.

c) When services *can* get priority.
You may want to download that movie to your TiVo right now, but if your neighbors are using VoIP, you're just going to have to wait. Only the ISP can see the overall picture.

I am not sure about this part. Obviously my high-priority traffic should have priority over my low-priority traffic, but why should my neighbor's traffic (of any type) have priority over mine? I would suggest that during times of congestion each customer should get a fair share of bandwidth and then you should do prioritization within each of those shares. This gives customers no incentive to cheat by marking all their traffic as high-priority, nor does it penalize customers who send no high-priority traffic. (As you may tell, I tend to think of this from an implementation perspective.)

Wes Felter - wesley@felter.org