[ NNSquad ] Re: As predicted: TheBitTorrent vs. "traffic shaping" arms race

And around we go.  I thought I already suggested something like this.  The
ISP's can't know what individual customers' preferences are.  Therefore, the
customer must be allowed to mark their traffic as they see fit.  However,
some customers would undoubtedly mark all of their traffic as high-priority,
"stealing" high-priority bandwidth from other users.  Therefore, let the
customers mark their own packets, but have the ISP enforce to the published
SLA's as far as how much traffic of different priorities is allowed.  A low
bandwidth cap for VoIP traffic should cover a single call using most
encodings, so the ISP should remark, or drop, traffic coming from individual
customers that is above this rate.  Customers should have the option of
marking traffic as scavenger, meaning it is the preferred traffic to be
dropped if any traffic at all has to be dropped or shaped (delayed in the
outbound queues on devices).  BT traffic, FTP downloads, and other similar
large but not necessarily time-dependent traffic could fall into this
category.  "Normal" traffic, such as HTTP traffic, is not treated as
high-priority, neither is it the first to be dropped / shaped.  ISP's can
offer to prioritize customer traffic for them, but the customers should
retain the right to send traffic with their own chosen DSCP values, and
ISP's should be barred from modifying those values if they fall within the
published rate limits.

I don't agree with the statement "it wasn't that long ago when we were all
blithely assuming that VoIP and such things would simply be solved with QoS
bits.  You'd think we'd learn that data may not have desires and motives,
but the people sending and receiving it do."  QoS IS the only way to "solve"
the traffic behavior requirements of VoIP.  QoS has been used over and over
and over again in enterprise networks in order to guarantee VoIP quality.
The issue with VoIP over the Internet, as opposed to within an enterprise
network controlled by a single entity, is the multiple ownership of the
internetwork.  By its very definition the Inter-net is composed of various
networks owned by various companies that are tied together.  Because there
is no overriding agreement between ALL network members as far as how to
"trust" the DSCP markings of packets there is a perception that QoS won't
scale.  I don't believe that is true.  If all of the ISP's agreed or are
forced to enforce a common service policy, to prevent a few users at a
single ISP from flooding the Internet with high priority traffic, then it
just could work.

Perhaps I do agree with part of that statement.  It won't be "simply"
solved, but it can be solved with the proper configuration and agreements
between network owners, or regulations.  Because of the reluctance to make
any progress on this type of solution, precisely because it would
commoditize the Internet and make it harder for ISP's to "monetize" their
investment by offering their own services, regulation is likely required.
With an Internet that was fully implemented in this model ANYONE would be
able to offer VoIP or other services and be able to guarantee service
quality by riding on the guarantee that ISP's would give as far as how much
bandwidth were available for high priority traffic.  That's something that
is clearly not in the interest of the ISP's.

Just like there are regulations as far as how much you can charge and what
service levels you must provide if you go into business and provide
transport for humans in your personally owned car (a taxi business) there
are likely regulations needed to ensure minimum service levels and rates for
people / businesses that use their own personally owned network to provide
transport for packets.

Fred Reimer