[ NNSquad ] Re: FCC paths to Internet network management? (from IP)

> Can you not see that to demand openness without
> agreeing to it yourself is hypocritical?

Actually, it is not hypocritical. Privacy can be asymmetrical since to
guarantee my privacy, the public that is, I need transparency from
ISPs. The public's relationship to itself does not have to be
symmetrical with its relationship to enterprise. For instance, the
public is protected by the US constitution and enterprise is not.

What I find disturbing is ISPs, the RIAA, the MPAA, etc are creating a
boogie man in order to justify their right to violate a US citizens
protection from search and seizure. DPI is an illegal search and TCP
RSTs are seizure of a communication channel between two computers.
ISPs are no different than the Post Office; their job is to guarantee
transport.

Dan

    [ There is currently a definite *legal* distinction between
      common carriers (like the Post Office) vs. most ISP operations.
      ISPs are typically not common carriers (in the U.S. anyway).
      However, ISPs' status in this regard could be subject to
      legislated change if society should deem it appropriate to
      do so.