[ NNSquad ] Re: Canada goes crazy

On 5/7/2010 11:01 AM, Bob Frankston wrote:
> The problem here is bad metaphors - we keep using metaphors which equate
> using with consuming. We use words but we don't' use them up.
>

> Let's be careful. Tolls on roads are generally for revenue where you have
> constrictions (can take hostages if you will). Congestion pricing is a
> separate issue and difficult. We don't put tolls on Main St even though it
> is expensive. We may try to tax entry into downtown as we do in Singapore
> and London but those are billed as controlling congestion and not as funding
> the roads.
>

> But what is being consumed? As I've written<http://rmf.vc/?n=IPPvD>   the
> traditional measures of scarcity don't apply. In fact we have a dynamic in
> which demand creates supply. ...

While generally true, wireless service (especially in rural areas) is
does have a scarcity aspect. Wireless bandwidth is shared (as is cable
bandwidth, depending on the number of nodes per neighborhood deployed).

  [ Keeping in mind that while wireless constraints are obviously
    more severe, virtually all Internet access is shared at some
    point, virtually by definition.  Whether a choke point on
    a cable system is the node topology, or on a DSL system an
    oversubscribed backhaul, the overall effect can often be
    much the same to subscribers.