[ NNSquad ] Re: Canada goes crazy

I wasn't trying to make a strong case for this being about power except to
emphasize that there is a risk in having those who want to do good falling
prey to bad metaphors. Though note that I did mention power management - I'm
not assuming today's protocols.

The towers do have some advantages as a connection point of last resort and
they do demonstrate what the market can do - why are cell phones often
better and smaller than cordless phones inside your house? Shouldn't they
share the same technologies? But not only do you need to go through towers -
you also need phones designed for ARPU.

     [ Open 'em up.  You'll find the typical technology in most
       cheapo cordless phones is not only relatively primitive,
       but part of the way they're kept cheap is by typically not having
       to meet the same miniaturization requirements as cell phones.
       Cell phones *seem* inexpensive under subsidization regimes.
              -- Lauren Weinstein, NNSquad Moderator]

The issue isn't really the towers - I have no problem with having them as an
option. The problem is in being forced to use the towers and a provider's
infrastructure. And that's where the billable events come in. If we didn't
have the constraint of billable events then we could have more opportunistic
protocols and, as Skype demonstrates, we can have connectivity that doesn't
depend on towers (even if it can use them) and thus wouldn't have a brittle
dependency. You lose the tower signal for a moment and the call is dropped.

While keeping you connected to a tower is a marvelous feat of engineering,
just like TV was in 1940, it doesn't mean we can't do much better in many
dimensions.

Which brings us back to the topic of the foolish Canadians (not that
Canadians are intrinsically foolish but this policy is). It makes counting
the bits a requirement and that's extremely difficult because you now have
to keep the bits in billable paths controlled by the provider and can't take
advantage of opportunistic connectivity. You can't exchange gigabits with
your next door neighbor because you have to run the bits past a distant bit
counter so you can be billed. And you have to accept provision of a copper
wire (perhaps) for kilometers rather than taking advantage of what you can
do if you only have to go a few meters.