[ NNSquad ] Re: Canada goes crazy

I am writing from India, which has some of the cheapest DSL (and
mobiles) in the world - low barriers to entry = good.  DSL usage is
capped.  As long as the cap is high enough to be fair, and the
*incremental costs* reflect *true network scarcity* then why not?  If
these are just marketing and media/content driven, that it becomes
problematic.

Let's assume an ISP says average consumption is X GB/month.  Say they
want (using the Canadian example) about $1/GB over-usage.  Would they
be willing to offer me a rebate/discount of the same $/1GB as I
decrease my usage?

If we go back to a model of telecom costs I published a few years back
at TRPC (splitting costs, roughly, into Hardware & S/W (one time),
Installation/other one-time (incl. marketing), maintenance and
operations, and uplinking (transit/bandwidth).  Hardware can be cheap
(esp. assuming the physical pipe is available ala DSL or cable).
Transit isn't much more (on *average* reported to be a few
dollars/month in the US only thanks to the beauty of stat muxing).

Again, would I still be eligible for the same level of rebate?  Else,
would this not prove that the over-usage charges are just arbitrary or
driven by deeper marketing calculations?

Rahul