[ NNSquad ] Re: Is network unneutrality necessarily bad?

True -- but it would be far better if we can simply assume encrypted paths and thus be able to maintain direct relationships between end points and objects. If I want to read my photos into a directory I should need to do any setup -- just specify a name of the directory. One consequences of the combination of the lack of encryption, the lack of stable naming and the twisting billing passages that compromise today’s computing/connectivity milieu is that we’ve lost the ability to assume an app “just works”. Instead we must make sure that every little switch and setting and billing relationship along the path is just right.

This is a bit off list because it’s about the insidious lack of neutrality that we’ve become inured to so it there won’t be rage until people can step back and recognize the NN they’ve always known.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Frisvold [mailto:xenophage0@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 22:13
To: Bob Frankston
Cc: nnsquad@nnsquad.org
Subject: Re: [ NNSquad ] Re: Is network unneutrality necessarily bad?

On Nov 13, 2007 4:42 PM, Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501@bobf.frankston.com> wrote:

> But if you do a remote terminal connection (encrypted) to your system at

> home you can do a

>  NET USE * \\TSClient\C

> back to your laptop (if you've shared the disk drives). This makes it very

> easy to copy files from your home system. This is very very useful.

But this is encapsulated in the remote desktop connection, is it not?

So, while you are using netbios, it is not running bare over the

Internet.  In other words, an access-list on the ISP router that

blocks netbios traffic will not affect this at all...

--

Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold

XenoPhage0@gmail.com

http://blog.godshell.com