[ NNSquad ] Re: FCC paths to Internet network management? (from IP)

On Mar 1, 2008, at 12:38 AM, Brett Glass wrote:
Secondly, Google is not in the business of harassing or antagonizing ISPs and would be ill advised to do so. ISPs are their customers and their way of reaching the rest of the world. Google -- which wants to avoid becoming an ISP itself -- needs them as allies.

That's a very odd statement. If Google is truly a "customer", then presumably you can terminate your contract with them. How long would an ISP survive that didn't allow access to Google?

Your customers are end-users. The services you provide are determined by what your end-users want. I know that ISPs would very much like to make companies like Google their customers. After all, Google is less price sensitive. You'd have much more leverage with them. The customer support costs are much lower. The margins are much higher. But wishing it doesn't make it so.

Also, you responded to that post by talking about P2P. But what Barry Gold said was:

Their pages are copyright (at least, the logos and layout are, and I suspect a compilation copyright would apply to the information). Read up on "derivative works".

Unless I screwed up on my threading, he's talking about modifying web pages and adding things to them. That is *most* definitely something that Google would sue about. In fact, for those with short memories, this isn't the first time it has happened. There used to be a browser plugin that would let people "mark up" web pages so that everyone could see the mark ups. There were a lot of very unhappy web sites, and I think law suits may even have been involved. And that was far tamer (not to mention voluntary) than slapping advertising (which will measurably reduce Google's income) on a page stream.