[ NNSquad ] Re: FCC paths to Internet network management? (from IP)

At 12:37 PM 3/1/2008, Kee Hinckley wrote:

>On Mar 1, 2008, at 12:38 AM, Brett Glass wrote:
>>Secondly, Google is not in the business of harassing or antagonizing
>>ISPs and would be ill advised to do so. ISPs are their customers and
>>their way of reaching the rest of the world. Google -- which wants
>>to avoid becoming an ISP itself -- needs them as allies.
>
>That's a very odd statement. If Google is truly a "customer", then
>presumably you can terminate your contract with them.  How long would
>an ISP survive that didn't allow access to Google?

I don't think you could possibly have understood what I said more
completely, so I will try again.

ISPs are Google's customers. We advertise there. While we have noticed
some problems with what appears to be "click fraud," in general we have
a fine relationship with them. Why would we want to terminate it?

And why on Earth would we not allow access to Google?

>Your customers are end-users.  The services you provide are determined
>by what your end-users want.

Of course. It's for our customers' sake that we do what we do --
including P2P mitigation.

>I know that ISPs would very much like to make companies like Google their customers.

Now, what you are saying is getting even stranger -- or maybe there is
a greater misunderstanding than I thought. Google does not happen to be
one of our customers (though we do develop technology that they might find
useful). But what does that have to do with the present discussion?

[SNIP]

>Also, you responded to that post by talking about P2P.  But what Barry
>Gold said was:
>
>>Their pages are copyright (at least, the logos and layout are, and I
>>suspect a compilation copyright would apply to the information).
>>Read up on "derivative works".
>
>Unless I screwed up on my threading, he's talking about modifying web
>pages and adding things to them.

Which is not the same thing we're talking about. We're talking about
displaying an informative message (not an ad; we don't spam our users)
at the top of the browser window, and the page that the user requested
-- unaltered -- below.

--Brett Glass