[ NNSquad ] Re: INTELLIGENT network management? (far from IP)

It's not clear how the "endpoint" influences control over routing unless it's doing some form of source routing, which is certainly not commonplace. It appears to me that the ITXC system chooses routes from some place upstream from the actual endpoint, and thus is actually an enrichment of the Internet core rather than a generic "endpoint" application. I put "endpoint" in air quotes because it's a deceptive concept. TCP is regarded as an "endpoint" because it runs on a user machine, but the functions it provides are actually central to the stability of the core. So it's really a core function from the control perspective, just one that happens to rely on the end user's CPU and memory to operate.

So what's the deal with route selection, did you use MPLS, VPNs, or some similar hack?

RB

Tom Evslin wrote:
Hi:

Without belaboring the point, our experience at ITXC was that the necessary
QoS for VoIP could be provided from the edge. We didn't need MPLS or the
like but we did need to have the kind of influence on routing which an
endpoint can have and visibility into how various routes that our traffic
--
Richard Bennett