[ NNSquad ] Re: Do the Happy Dance people...

The fact remains that "unlimited" in the context of Internet access has generally been understood to mean simply that there are no connection-time charges. At one time, people accessed their ISPs over dial-up connections, which were typically charged on connection time. AT&T phased out connection-time charges when they realized that such charges added to resource congestion. as they encouraged people to disconnect during non-peak periods.

DSL and cable have been free of connection-time charges because they're "always on" services. But it's misleading to say that there haven't always been other limits on these services: go read any TOS for any DSL or Cable Internet service from anyone at any time: you can't run servers, you can't consume excessive resources. you can't spam, etc, etc, etc.

This is reality: residential broadband is inexpensive relative to business broadband because it's a shared service with no guaranteed CIR. That means the service is over-sold by design. Go price non-oversold services, and you'll find your best deal is $400/mo for 1.5 Mb/s symmetrical T1. Compare that to $60/mo for 16/2 Mb/s from Comcast. What's the magic? Low duty cycle sharing. And it's a good thing, because it allows millions of people to get fast service for low prices.

A mailing list that's supposed to be about holding ISPs feet to the fire shouldn't engage in willful ignorance.

RB

  [ This is becoming positively Kafkaesque.  Brett claims that
    "unlimited" simply meant "not limiting the sort of content that
    you send or receive."  Richard says it meant "no metered
    connection time charges" -- though such charges have largely
    been little seen for years.  Spinning like the twister that
    took Dorothy to Oz.

    It's absolutely clear that the generally understood meaning of
    "unlimited" in the context of residential broadband service -- and
    earlier promotional statements by both cable and DSL providers made
    this utterly obvious -- was that you could send or receive as much
    data as you wished for your monthly fee.  Yes, there are often
    arbitrary server restrictions (but the presence of servers does not
    necessarily translate into high traffic volumes), and rules against
    "interfering with other customers" and such.

    But these attempts to retroactively redefine what was clearly
    understood by the public as the meaning of "unlimited" in this
    context are straight from fantasyland.

Robb Topolski wrote:
For everyone's information, I have *never* visited an FCC Commissioner and have I *never* visited or appeared before a legislator. I was a panelist at the April 17th FCC Stanford hearing (as was Brett), and I was there on my own dime (as was Brett). I was not under contract with FP/PK (or either) at that time, nor was such an arrangement under consideration.

Subsequent to the hearings, FP/PK are now my clients. I am their consultant. That does kinda associate us together, but I generally don't speak for them. My particular convictions are my own and they are well aware that it may not mesh with theirs and that I will still express them. As their consultant, they sometimes commission me to contribute something on their behalf -- and I do, and I clearly disclose that I'm doing so on their behalf. Even then, I have not and would not say anything that I didn't actually support as my first, best judgment, position, or opinion.

Brett feels safe to say anything he wants to say, and I have to respond to avoid it being understood as truth. This situation is unacceptable.

Robb Topolski