[ NNSquad ] Re: [OT?] NN definition(s?)

On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 02:37 -0800, Richard Bennett wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 10:23 +0000, Peter Eckersley wrote:
>
> > But because the developers left this feature off by default, they're as
> > bad as Comcast, who have started forging packets to kill connections in
> > categories they don't like, and won't even admit that they're doing it,
> > let alone discuss the details?
>
> The feature isn't "off by default", its default setting is to classify
> BT uploads at the same priority as unclassified traffic, which is
> obviously wrong and damaging to anyone who shares an
> averagely-provisioned link with BT.

By default, the software does exactly what it did before the Azureus
developers went to the effort of coding this extra feature.  So I say
the feature is off by default.

> > Richard, I know you're smart and well-informed, so why are you using
> > your talents to troll like this?
>
> That's a strange remark from a guy who has publicly equated network
> management with identity theft. Feeling guilty?

Not yet.

Surely paradigmatic identity theft could also be used as a form of
network management.  One could impersonate BitTorrent users when calling
their electricity supplier, and discontinue their electricity service.
Then they would cause less network congestion [*].  Network management,
clearly.  But it wouldn't be /legitimate/ network management.

It's true that forging packets from Alice's computer isn't normally
nearly as bad as stealing her online bank details and emptying her
account.  But they're both examples of forging messages from a computer
belonging to Alice.

[*] Except for those with extensive UPS infrastructure.
--
Peter Eckersley                            pde@eff.org
Staff Technologist                Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131