[ NNSquad ] Re: [OT?] NN definition(s?)

Brett Glass wrote:
Here's a very key point, and one I don't think anyone has brought up yet in this forum: There's an economic side to this issue as well. Were BitTorrent traffic all legitimate, it would be limited by simple economics. No one could afford to download every song or movie in the world if he or she were paying for the content and it were being distributed legally! So, if everyone acted within the law, the load would be, at least to some extent, self-limiting.

The only economic disconnect in torrents is the server's bitpipe cost apart from other sources, and that is still far from copyright issues.

You simply cant compare bit size with IPR value unless you suggest tax.

The real threat here is perhaps if we stop client to client communications in order to stop file sharing like some lobbyists from the music industry suggest. This would of course make it easier to police the Internet... or perhaps we are moving there fast as the IP:s are running out.

From what I have seen, the increase in bandwidth is mostly from legit sources like watching youtube, listening to hight quality radio or using more bandwidth in general on web pages or in ads. It has very little to do with infringements. Perhaps the copy-flag would do better?

/jonas

PS. I'm new to this list. My main role here would be chairman of FFII-sweden (ffii.se), and less as CTO at a startup (not illuminet). FFII is currently involved in the EU approach to new EU wide patent courts and the EU definition of open standards among other things. FFII is perhaps most known for noooxml.org and the rejection of the software patent directive in EU. DS.